Butternut Squash Linguine
Make a light and creamy pasta sauce using butternut squash—a nutritious and tasty addition to whole-wheat linguine noodles.
Serving size: about 1 ½ cups
Total time: 30 minutes
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 package whole wheat linguine
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tbsp. dried sage
1/3 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add the butternut squash and cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove squash using a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package, omitting salt and fat.
4. Meanwhile, puree the butternut squash. Working in batches, add butternut squash to food processor and process until it’s a smooth consistency. Add chicken broth a little at a time if needed.
5. In a large deep skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic and onion until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
6. Add pureed butternut squash, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, sage, and black pepper. Mix well. Add cooked pasta and gently stir until noodles are coated.
7. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per 1 ½ cups): Calories: 410; Carbohydrates: 67 g; Protein: 13 g; Saturated Fat: 1.5 g; Dietary fiber: 10 g; Sodium: 125 mg
Related: Creamy Avocado Pasta
Reference: “Creamy Butternut Squash Linguine.” Intermountain Healthcare, 2015. PDF. 11 Dec 2019.
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.