Light Pumpkin Spice Cake
Chef Mary substitutes healthier ingredients for the oil and whole eggs typically called for in a packaged cake mix and tops it off with a fat-free whipped cream frosting.
1 yellow cake mix
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom – optional
¾ cup skim milk
1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
99% less residue no-stick baking spray with flour
1. Lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or two 8-inch layer pans with 99% less residue baking spray with flour and set aside. Note: You can use a 99% less residue no-stick baking spray with flour on all baking pans, including nonstick. This product will not damage nonstick pan surfaces.
2. Preheat oven to 325 F. Whisk dry cake mix together with spices in large mixing bowl until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk milk together with eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla until combined.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl and mix all ingredients together on medium speed of an electric mixer for 3 to 4 minutes until well blended.
4. Pour batter into pan(s) and smooth out top. Bake at 325º for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Remove cake(s) from oven, cool in pan for 15 minutes then invert cake pan(s) onto rack. Remove pan from cake and finish cooling. After cake(s) has cooled completely spread frosting evenly over cake and sprinkle top with 2 tbsp. brown sugar.
Note: If you plan on taking the cake to an event, cool the 9 x 13-inch cake completely in the pan. Then frost and serve it directly from the pan or cover it until you are ready to serve it.
Whipped Cream And Brown Sugar Frosting
1 pint fat-free whipped topping (Cool Whip® Free, etc.)
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. light or dark brown sugar
- Defrost topping according to package directions if frozen. Sprinkle ½ cup brown sugar over topping and blend together gently.
- After cake has cooled completely, spread frosting evenly over cake. Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp. brown sugar evenly over top of cake.
1 serving with frosting 340 Calories; 4.5g Total Fat; 0.8g Saturated Fat; 1.5g Protein; 70g Carbohydrate; 1g Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 343mg Sodium.
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.