12 Tips to Help You Travel Safely this Season
Winter driving is inevitable for most people, it’s important to keep you and your family safe by sticking to these basic safety rules.
- Always wear seatbelts and put children in car seats
- If you must ride a motorcycle, wear a helmet
- Abide traffic laws while behind the wheel
- Don’t drive drowsy and never text or drink and drive
- Be alert when crossing in the street
This is a time when we experience winter snow and icy road conditions, so prepare in advance for these conditions to ensure safety while on the road.
Before you go
- Make sure your car is up-to-date with routine maintenance.
- Have your vehicle checked for leaks or any necessary repairs.
- Keep a pair of gloves, winter boots, and a warm blanket in your trunk in case of an emergency.
On the road
- Keep your gas tank close to full—if you get stuck in snow or in traffic, you may need more fuel than you anticipated.
- Avoid driving if road conditions are hazardous. Wait until weather and road conditions improve before heading out in your vehicle.
In an emergency
- If you are stopped or stalled, stay with your car. If possible, put bright markers on the antenna or windows, or keep the interior lights turned on.
- Don’t run your car for long periods of time with the windows up or in an enclosed space. If you need to start the engine, make sure the exhaust pipe is free of any snow and keep the car on just long enough to stay warm.
Planning ahead is important year-round, but it is especially important when driving in the winter. If something should happen during your travels, you’ll be better prepared by following these safety tips.
“International Road Safety.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC, 26 Apr. 2013. Web. 30 Nov. 2015.
“Winter Driving Tips.” safercar.gov. NHTSA, n.d. Web. 30 Nov. 2015.
15 Inspirational Quotes From Professional Athletes
These 15 quotes will give you the boost you need to tackle your day.Read More >
9 Ridiculously Cool Gifts That Encourage a Healthy Lifestyle
These gifts can be useful for anyone who likes to exercise on a regular basis—and most of them won’t break the bank.Read More >