Yellow Squash Veggie Tots with Garlic Yogurt Dip
In 25 minutes, you can enjoy a healthy squash snack with a savory garlic dip.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 (24 tots)
3 small yellow squashes or zucchini
4 oz. grated cheddar cheese
¾ cup bread crumbs
½ medium onion, finely chopped
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp. to ¼ cup finely minced parsley leaves (optional)
For yogurt dip
1/3 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. finely minced parsley
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or grease the baking sheet with olive oil.
- Grate the squash on a fine grater. Add salt and mix together. Put the grated squash in a colander. Let it sit as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Use your hands to squeeze the extra liquid from the grated squash and discard the liquid.
- Combine all the other tot ingredients with the grated squash in a large bowl and mix well. The mixture should be sticky and wet. If it is too wet, add extra bread crumbs.
- Arrange the tots on the baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes or until golden on top and lightly browned on the bottom.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing the tots from the baking sheet.
- While the tots are cooling, combine the ingredients for the yogurt dip and mix well before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per Serving): Calories: 290 cal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 669mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g
Related: Baked Zucchini Fries
Reference: “Yellow Squash Tots with Garlicky Yogurt Dip.” Babaganosh, 24 Nov. 2020, https://www.babaganosh.org/yellow-squash-tots/.