10 Interesting Health Facts about Past Presidents
Did you know that Lyndon Johnson took power naps during his presidency? Find out more interesting ways our founding fathers stayed healthy.
Presidential Healthy Habits
Some of the great leaders of our country also practiced healthy habits. Here’s a few that you may want to consider yourself!
- John Quincy Adams regularly took a dip in the Potomac and preceded nightly dinner with a three-to-four mile walk
- Thomas Jefferson soaked his feet in cold water every morning
- Harry Truman practiced portion control
- Lyndon Johnson took powernaps
- Bill Clinton regularly jogged around the South Lawn of the White House
- George W. Bush was an avid biker
- James Buchanan took daily walks on Pennsylvania Avenue
- Barack Obama believes in daily exercise and regularly participates in cardio, weight training, and basketball
- Dwight D. Eisenhower installed a putting green at the White House and played more than 800 rounds of golf while in office
- Herbert Hoover invented Hooverball, which involved interval training with a medicine ball
While you're here, check out our other healthy living articles.
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
SelectHealth disclaims any responsibility for the content, information or the privacy and security policies contained on other websites, and does not exert any editorial or other control over those sites.
- Mancini, Mark. “The Healthy Habits of 15 U.S. Presidents.” Mental Floss. Felix Dennis, 19 Jan. 2016. Web. 09 Feb. 2016. <http://mentalfloss.com/article/73533/healthy-habits-15-us-presidents>
- “I Rise with the Sun.” Monticello. UNESCO, n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016. https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/i-rise-sun>
15 Inspirational Quotes From Professional Athletes
These 15 quotes will give you the boost you need to tackle your day.Read More >
9 Ridiculously Cool Gifts That Encourage a Healthy Lifestyle
These gifts can be useful for anyone who likes to exercise on a regular basis—and most of them won’t break the bank.Read More >