Summing up Summer: Your Favorite Season in a Few Facts
Even if summer is already your favorite season, we've compiled some fun and interesting facts that may make you love this fabulous time of year even more.
1. The first day of summer is between June 20th and June 22nd every year. The first day of summer is called the summer solstice. The day varies due to the Earth’s rotation not exactly reflecting our calendar year.
2. Watermelon, a popular summer treat, is actually part of the cucumber, pumpkin, and squash family and consists of 92% water. On average, Americans consume 15 pounds of watermelon annually
3. Initially, Frisbees were invented in the 1870’s as pie plates. It wasn’t until the 1940’s that college students began throwing them around. They have since become a summertime activity staple.
4. The 5 most popular summer vacations in the United States are 1) beach/ocean (45%), 2) a famous city (42%), 3) national parks (21%), 4) a lake (17%), and 5) a resort (14%).
5. Swimming is the fourth most popular recreational activity in the U.S.
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.
2. De Leon, Belen. “9 Fun Facts about Summer.” 9 News. June 20 2014. Accessed: April 15, 2015.
3. Statistic Brain. March 3, 2015. Accessed April 15, 2015.