At-Home Over-the-Counter Antigen COVID-19 Tests
Current as of March 31, 2023
Effective May 11, 2023, the ongoing Public Health Emergency (PHE), Over-the-Counter (OTC) COVID-19 tests will no longer be covered or eligible for reimbursement through your Select Health benefits.
For up-to-date coverage information on in-office COVID-19 tests administered by a provider, visit the COVID-19 coverage page. Please reference the OTC test information below to learn about your coverage prior to the PHE end date scheduled for May 11, 2023.
- Select Health Medicare Members - OTC COVID-19 tests are covered if you have a healthcare provider’s order. For reimbursement, complete the form and attach the required documentation.
- Select Health Community Care Members - OTC COVID-19 tests are covered if you have a healthcare provider’s order.
- Individual Plans and Group Members - As of January 15, 2022, you can submit reimbursement for FDA-approved OTC COVID-19 home tests. Please note that you must be a covered Select Health member.
There are many ways to obtain at-home Over-the-Counter (OTC) COVID-19 tests.
Tests from Select Health
To order a Covid-19 test, follow these steps:
- For eligible* Select Health members, log in to your account. If you don’t have a Select Health account, click here to register.
- Once logged in, click on the “COVID-19 At-Home Test" link on your dashboard.
- Complete and submit the order form.
*Please note: This option is not available for individuals enrolled on Medicare Advantage (Select Health Medicare), Medicaid (Select Health Community Care), CHIP, and some employer plans with a self-funded arrangement. Please contact Member Services at 800-538-5038 to verify eligibility.
If you are on a Select Health Individual or Group health plan, you can obtain an FDA-approved, OTC at-home COVID-19 antigen test with no out-of-pocket cost at a preferred pharmacy. You will need to present your Select Health ID card to the pharmacy so they can process the purchase similar to a prescription from your healthcare provider. Remember that tests are limited to eight (8) OTC tests per member per month without a healthcare provider’s order.
Pharmacies within the following stores are part of our preferred pharmacy network. Prior to visiting one of these locations, you may want to check their website to confirm OTC at-home COVID-19 antigen test availability.
- Rite Aid
- CVS freestanding stores (not located in Target stores)
- Dick's Fresh Market
- Dan's Fresh Market
- Fresh Market
- Lin's Fresh Market
At-Home COVID-19 Tests
Many Select Health members are now eligible to obtain FDA-approved OTC at-home COVID-19 tests purchased on or after January 15, 2022.
Follow these steps for reimbursement:
- You can submit receipts for up to eight (8) OTC tests per member per month without a healthcare provider’s order at the lesser of actual test cost or $12 per test. For example, if you purchase four (4) kits with two tests included in each kit, this will count as eight tests.
- Complete the reimbursement form and attach the required documentation.
- Keep a copy of all of the documents you submit for reimbursement.
The standard reimbursement time is 30 days or less; however, reimbursements may take longer depending on circumstances. The maximum time a member has to submit for reimbursement is one year from the date of purchase. A reimbursement check will be mailed to the subscriber.