Grilled Flank Steak with Honey Lime Chipotle Sauce
Here's an easy grilled entree you can make in 30 minutes or less. Serve the steak with a side of veggies, in corn tortillas, or on top of a bed of lettuce—the choice is yours.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8 with 4 tbsp. sauce
1 ½ to 2-lb flank steak, trimmed of any visible fat
Nonstick cooking spray
Related: Carne Asada Street Tacos
½ can (12 oz.) chipotle chiles, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup honey
1 tbsp. peanut butter
1 to 3 chipotle peppers – depending on preference
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
1 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Place steak in large non-metallic baking dish.
2. Mix marinade ingredients together then pour marinade over the steak. Turn steak over, making sure the marinade completely coats both sides. Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally. Because of the lime juice in the marinade, no not allow steak to marinate any longer than four hours.
3. To make the sauce, combine the honey, peanut butter, chiles, vinegar, mustard, lime juice, garlic, and cumin in blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Stir in chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Lightly salt and pepper steak. Over high heat, grill steak for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of steak registers 130° for medium rare. You can also broil steak in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes per side.
5. Remove steak from grill and let it rest 4 minutes, allowing juices to redistribute. Using a sharp knife, slice the steak as thin as you can, against the grain at a sharp angle.
6. Serve steak with 1 to 2 tablespoons of sauce.
Related: Thai Slaw With Peanut Dressing
Nutritional Information: 225 calories, 9g Fat; 19g Carbohydrate; 0.8g Dietary Fiber; 18g protein; 44mg Cholesterol; 247mg Sodium Compare with traditional recipe at 498 calories vs. 225 and 25.5g Fat vs. 9g Fat
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.
Nutrition and Diet
Light Pumpkin Spice Cake with Whipped Cream and Brown Sugar Frosting
Chef Mary substitutes healthier ingredients for the oil and whole eggs typically called for in a packaged cake mix and tops it off with a fat-free whipped cream frosting.Read More >