Simple Ways to Pamper Your Tired Feet
Are your feet always sore after a long day? We’ve got a few cheap and easy tricks to pamper them at the end of a grueling day.
Oh, the places you go, thanks to your feet
Our feet do so much for us every day. They allow us to walk, run, hop, or skip to the places we need to go—not to mention, they carry all of our weight (literally). After long days, our feet get tired, so what can we do to ease the aches and pains? We’ve got a few cheap and easy tricks to pamper your feet at the end of a grueling day.
Related: Fuel Your Run
But first, let’s look at a few interesting facts about these hard-working sources of locomotion.
A few facts on feet
- On average, adults take 4,000 to 6,000 steps a day. However, the recommended amount is 10,000 steps on a daily basis.
- Standing in one spot for long periods of time is harder on your feet than walking.
- One-fourth of the bones in your body are in your feet. Each foot contains 26 bones, to be exact.
- Your feet can say a lot about your health. Some conditions such as diabetes and arthritis show initial symptoms in your feet, so it’s important to pay attention to any changes in the health of your feet.
- When running, the pressure on your feet can be as much as four times your body weight.
Simple ways to pamper your tired feet
- Relax in minutes using only a tennis ball. This might be the only thing you need to destress after being on your feet all day. Just place a tennis ball under one foot, then place enough weight on the ball to provide a decent massage. Roll back and forth from toes to heel for an easy way to unwind.
- Is there such thing as a DIY massage? There is now! Of course, it’d be ideal if someone could rub your feet for you. But there’s no reason why you can’t massage your own feet a few minutes before bedtime to help soothe your tired tootsies. Just use your thumbs, making circular motions on your heel, arch, toes, and ankle.
- Try this one-ingredient foot soak. You don’t have to go to a spa to enjoy a relaxing foot soak. Just fill a container with enough warm water to cover your ankles and add about a ¼ cup of Epsom salts. Now just sit back and relax. This can help to reduce stress and relieve your aches and pains.
- Roll away stress with a bottle of water. Take a water bottle and fill it ¾ of the way with water and place it in the freezer. Once frozen, roll the water bottle under your feet for a cool, refreshing way to end your day. This trick will feel even better in the summertime.
Related: 4 Healthy Reasons To Hug More
With these simple tips, you can relax in a few minutes using items you probably already have at home. Do yourself a favor and take a couple minutes to pamper these often forgotten-about extremities—your feet will thank you.
What simple techniques do you use to unwind at the end of the day? Tell us in the comments. And be sure to check out our other healthy living articles.
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.
5 Reasons Why Laughter Really Is the Best Medicine
Is laughter really the best medicine? We have 5 reasons that show that it could be as beneficial to your health as regular exercise and a proper diet.Read More >