5 Interesting Facts About the Games In Brazil
Impress your friends, family, and colleagues with these fun facts about the games in Brazil.
Did you know that 60,000 clothes hangers are used to host athletes when games come around every few years? That’s just the start of the trivia. Here are a few other interesting facts about the games.
1. The ancient games began in Greece about 3,000 years ago. They were originally held over one day. They were suspended in 393 AD. Modern-day games were revived in 1896.
2. This year, the torch, which symbolizes friendship and peace, traveled across Brazil—mainly by foot—for nearly 100 days.
3. More than 10,000 athletes from 206 countries are in in Rio de Janeiro competing. Four regions of the city will be home to 32 competition venues.
4. To get an idea of just how much goes into it all, look at just a few examples of items the organizers planned for this year’s events:
- 25,000 tennis balls
- 8,400 shuttlecocks (for badminton)
- 34,000 beds
5. By the end of it all, after 17 days of competition, 306 medal events will have taken place... What’s your favorite sport to watch during the two weeks of the games? Tell us on Facebook.
Read other healthy living articles here.
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.
5 Reasons Why Laughter Really Is the Best Medicine
Is laughter really the best medicine? We have 5 reasons that show that it could be as beneficial to your health as regular exercise and a proper diet.Read More >