5 Interesting Facts About the Games In Brazil
Did you know that 60,000 clothes hangers are used to host athletes when games come around every few years? That’s just the start of the trivia. Here are a few other interesting facts about the games.
1. The ancient games began in Greece about 3,000 years ago. They were originally held over one day. They were suspended in 393 AD. Modern-day games were revived in 1896.
2. This year, the torch, which symbolizes friendship and peace, traveled across Brazil—mainly by foot—for nearly 100 days.
3. More than 10,000 athletes from 206 countries are in in Rio de Janeiro competing. Four regions of the city will be home to 32 competition venues.
4. To get an idea of just how much goes into it all, look at just a few examples of items the organizers planned for this year’s events:
- 25,000 tennis balls
- 8,400 shuttlecocks (for badminton)
- 34,000 beds
5. By the end of it all, after 17 days of competition, 306 medal events will have taken place... What’s your favorite sport to watch during the two weeks of the games? Tell us on Facebook.
Read other healthy living articles here.
15 Inspirational Quotes From Professional Athletes
These 15 quotes will give you the boost you need to tackle your day.Read More >
9 Ridiculously Cool Gifts That Encourage a Healthy Lifestyle
These gifts can be useful for anyone who likes to exercise on a regular basis—and most of them won’t break the bank.Read More >