Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Skip ordering take-out and make your own stir-fry at home!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
¾ lb. lean steak (such as top sirloin or loin tip) thinly sliced
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 lb. broccoli, cut into 2” sections
½ cup low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ tsp. fresh ginger, minced
½ tsp. black pepper, plus more to taste
¼ - ½ cup water, as desired
olive oil or coconut oil, for cooking
1. In a medium bowl, combine thinly sliced steak with cornstarch and a pinch of pepper. Toss to coat well.
2. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add a few slices of steak (not touching each other) to the pan. Cook 60-90 seconds per side, then transfer to a clean plate or bowl. Repeat with remaining steak, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
3. When all the steak is cooked, add broccoli to the pan (if the pan is a bit dry, add a bit more oil). Cook 4-5 minutes, or until crisp-tender (cook longer if you like your broccoli softer).
4. While the broccoli is cooking, mix the sauce by combining the soy sauce or coconut aminos with garlic, ginger, and pepper.
5. When broccoli is cooked, transfer to bowl with the steak. Pour sauce into the skillet and stir to combine and heat thoroughly. Return cooked broccoli and steak to the pan and stir to coat. The sauce should naturally thicken as it’s heated (3-5 minutes). If sauce is too thick, add a bit of water (or more soy sauce/coconut aminos).
6. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 248; Fat: 10 g; Protein: 25g; Carbohydrates: 14 g; Sugar: 2g
Reference: “One Lovely Life.” Healthy Beef and Broccoli, 2017. Web. 21 Feb. 2020. < https://www.onelovelylife.com/healthy-beef-and-broccoli/>
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.