Broccoli Cheese Soup
When chilly weather hits, a hot bowl of soup just hits the spot. Warm up with a bowl of this hearty broccoli and cheese soup.
Total time: 1 hour
Makes 4 servings
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
2 cups half and half
3 cups broccoli florets, diced into bite-sized pieces
2 large carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
¾ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. dry mustard
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a large pot, melt one tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and sauté until the onions are softened and translucent (about four minutes); stir occasionally.
2. Add in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove onions and garlic to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add the remaining four tablespoons butter and allow to melt. Add the flour and whisk for about 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture is lightly browned and thickened.
4. Slowly whisk in the half and half and the broth, whisking constantly.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil and turn the heat down to low and allow it to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
6. Add in the broccoli, sliced carrots, onions, and garlic. Add in the pepper, paprika, and dry mustard. Stir to combine. Allow to simmer over low heat for about 20-25 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
7. Add in the grated cheese and stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 587; Carbohydrates: 25 g; Protein: 25 g; Dietary fiber: 3 g; Sodium: 460 mg
Related: Grilled Corn with Basil Butter
Reference: “Broccoli Cheese Soup.” My Recipe Magic, 2016. Web. 17 Sept. 2019. <https://savorysweetandsatisfying.blogspot.com/2016/10/broccoli-cheese-soup.html>