Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Mango Chile Relish
Here's a fast and exotic grilled entrée you can make in 30 minutes or less.
Yield: Serves 4
Preparation Time: 30 minutes (plus time for chicken to absorb rub)
4 5-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts or
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. granulated garlic powder
2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves (1 tbsp dried)
1 tbsp. ground allspice
1 tbsp ground chili powder
2 tsp. Madras or regular curry powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¾ tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper black pepper to taste
fresh limes and cilantro - optional
- In a small bowl, blend sugar together with all seasonings, except limes and cilantro. Rub mixture over all sides of chicken, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. or spray grill with non-aerosol cooking spray and heat to medium.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Place chicken on sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or place chicken in a single layer on a large piece of foil. Wrap up into a package and cook on grill for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven or foil and grill 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve with lime wedges, chopped cilantro, and Mango Chili Relish on the side.
Cook's Note: No grill? Bake until the internal temperature of breasts reaches 160 F or thighs reach 165 F. You can also make a small cut in the center of the chicken to see if it's just about opaque.
Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast and ½ cup relish at 210 calories; 3g fat; 21g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 24g protein; 70mg cholesterol; 570 mg sodium
Nutrition Facts: 4 oz. thigh meat and ½ cup relish at 230 calories; 5g fat; 21g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 23g protein; 95mg cholesterol; 585mg sodium
Traditional Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast and ½ cup relish at 340; 14g fat; 22g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 31g protein; 91 mg cholesterol; 777mg sodium
Traditional Nutrition Facts: 4 oz. thigh meat and ½ cup relish at 344; 18g fat; 21g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 20g protein; 110 mg cholesterol; 777mg sodium
Mango Chili Relish
Yield: 2 cups or 4 ½ cup servings
1 ripe mango, peeled and finely chopped
½ small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ jalapeño pepper, minced – optional ¼ cup minced red or white onion
juice of 1 large lime
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 cloves fresh pressed or minced garlic
½ tsp. curry powder and a pinch salt
- Combine mangos together with all remaining ingredients. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Relish can be made in advance, covered and refrigerated for 2 to 3 days.
Related: Chicken Cranberry Salad Wraps
Nutrition Facts: ½ cup serving 75 calories; 0g fat; 19g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 1g protein; 0 cholesterol; 43 mg sodium
Nutritional Talking Points:
- Traditional Jamaican Jerk Chicken is made with chicken thighs and legs that include the bone and skin. This recipe is made with boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, which significantly reduces the fat, calories, and cholesterol per serving.
- Because both the breast and the thigh are lower in fat without including the skin, the meat is baked or wrapped and cooked at a lower temperature and only grilled 1 to 2 minutes per side. This way you get the grilled taste without overcooking or drying the chicken out.
Reference: Recipe by SelectHealth Chef Mary E. Ross