Kicking Summer Coleslaw
Chef Mary Shares her healthy recipe for Kicking Summer Coleslaw—a perfect side dish to serve at your next barbecue.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Serves: 16 ½ cup servings
6 cups purple cabbage, finely shredded
1 ¼ cups green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup carrot, peeled and shredded
1 cup reduced-fat olive oil mayonnaise
2 to 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
1 red jalapeño pepper, minced – optional
2 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
3 tbsp. brown sugar
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Place all vegetables in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, garlic, jalapeño (if using), vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until combined.
3. Add dressing to vegetable mixture and blend all ingredients together until well combined. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts: (½ cup serving) 78 calories; 5g fat; 8g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 0g protein; 0mg cholesterol; 252mg sodium
Nutritional Talking Points:
1. Traditional coleslaw is loaded with real mayonnaise. In this recipe, I used reduced-fat olive oil mayonnaise, which reduced the fat per serving by half.
2. This recipe also uses seasoned rice vinegar rather than apple cider vinegar giving the slaw less of a vinegary bite.
3. I reduced the sugar in this recipe from 4 tablespoons to 3 and reduced the salt by half from the traditional recipe.