When you want to make a difference in your life, it doesn’t happen all at once. That’s what we mean when we say “SelectHealth is one good choice.” In fact, it’s a good choice that leads to lots of other good choices. And every decision makes a difference.
Choosing a not-for-profit, community-based health plan like SelectHealth is the beginning of a relationship intended to help you make good choices and live a healthy life.
Our members are in various stages of life and health, and we understand that the definition of health is different for everyone: Many people are trying to improve their health, others are getting preventive care to stay healthy, and some are managing a chronic condition. Some are simply seeking peace of mind knowing that if something happens, we’ll be there. You may be surprised to learn more about who SelectHealth is and how we meet the unique needs of our members and improve the communities in which we live.
What makes SelectHealth a good choice?
After more than 35 years in business, we know a few things about health insurance. We are confident in our ability to provide access to high-quality healthcare to more than 800,000 members in Utah and Idaho. But we also know that healthcare is changing faster than ever before, and we are constantly re-evaluating to keep up with changing technology, healthcare reform, and consumer demands so we can continue to be a stable choice in the future.
We live, work, and play in the same communities you do. When you call us, you’re talking to someone who lives in your community—or the one next to yours. When SelectHealth employees need healthcare, we use the same providers and clinics you do. You’ve probably run into one of us at the grocery store! It’s nice to know that the person picking up the phone is a neighbor.
It’s a big word for something really important about our company. Our parent company is Intermountain Healthcare, and we share a mission of Helping People Live the Healthiest Lives Possible.® But what does our integrated system mean for you? We have a unique perspective because of our relationship with Intermountain Healthcare in Utah and alliance with St. Luke’s Health System in Idaho. Health plans like ours work closely with healthcare providers, giving us a broader perspective and facilitating open discussions about the challenges patients face. We form stable systems focused on health, and together we can ensure that patients and members get preventive care and screenings they need to stay healthy. Community-based plans are also in a better position to develop relationships with providers to meet the short- and long-term needs of the community.
Every decision we make is with the member in mind. We hold focus groups and run online customer communities to get feedback from consumers on a range of topics, and we use this feedback to improve our products and services. If we think an idea is great but consumers are telling us something different, we go back to the drawing board—and we keep trying until we get it right.
We may sell health plans, but we’re more than a safety net. Engaging members in their health and building healthier communities is key to our mission. Here are just a few of our community programs and sponsorships:
- B3: Brain Body Boost is a school-based physical activity program that brings health education into the classroom while motivating students to be active.
- Select 25 – This program helps those who are helping others. Each year we choose 25 organizations devoted to improving the lives of others and award them $2,500 to use toward their mission.
- Utah Gives Back – Together with KSL, we celebrate organizations that offer hope, understanding, and help to those in need. Visit Utah Gives Back to learn about the organizations spotlighted each week on KSL NewsRadio.
- LiVe Well Checkout Lanes – We partner with Associated Foods to provide checkout lanes stocked with health-conscious options chosen by a dietitian.
- Medical Cost Estimator – Our most-requested member tool, the Medical Cost Estimator, provides personalized estimates based on the member’s benefits for a doctor, hospital, or service.
- Member Account – Members can visit our secure member website and see exactly where they stand with their year-to-date totals such as their deductible and out-of-pocket. If they have a health savings account with Health Equity, those amounts are listed here too, enabling members to get a complete picture of their healthcare costs in one place.
As part of their plan, SelectHealth members have lots of extras that many either don’t know about or forget to use. But taking advantage of these services can make a difference for many individuals and families:
- Member Discounts – Perhaps the least-known membership “extra” is our discount program. Members can search for discounts on services such as LASIK, acupuncture, tattoo removal, and more.
- Healthy Beginnings – Moms-to-be, especially those with high-risk pregnancies, should take advantage of this program. Our nurse care managers are happy to answer questions, and moms get a free book about pregnancy and child care.
- Care and Disease Management – Believe it or not, our nurses are here to help you. Every day, SelectHealth care managers coordinate care with physicians’ offices and talk with members to understand their needs and facilitate services.
- Member Advocates – At times you may need help finding the right doctor or getting an appointment. Our Member Advocates are experts at doing just that—they help members locate providers of all types, including those who speak a specific language, and they will even make an appointment for you.
- Intermountain Connect Care – Talk to a provider through your smartphone or computer. Connect Care is a convenient way to address concerns such as cough, joint pain/strain, minor burns or rashes, and sinus pain, to name a few.
So when it’s time to make a choice, consider a health plan that will help you live the healthiest life possible—because benefits should go beyond paying claims. We partner with caregivers who share our mission and values, and we push ourselves beyond the status quo to develop tools, provide information, and engage our members in new ways to help them get the most from their health plan.
SelectHealth may link to other websites for your convenience. SelectHealth does not expressly or implicitly recommend or endorse the views, opinions, specific services, or products referenced at other websites linked to the SelectHealth site, unless explicitly stated.
The content presented here is for your information only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and it should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.